Friday, May 9, 2008

Killing the Itsy Bitsy Spider and Other Creatures

I don't want my kids to be afraid of spiders, so when I saw a teeny tiny spider crawling across the hallway I called Drew over and asked him to smash it. Well he did. He smashed it with his fist and pounded it into the floor over and over shouting, "YAAAAAAA!" Now he marches around looking for them saying, "And I will KILL it with my bare hands!!!!"

This morning he came running up to me shouting (I don't think he has an "inside voice") "I CAGED THE SPIDER!" He took me into Hailey's room and showed me his "caged spider"
It was a gnat, I think, kind of too small to tell. But it was trapped under Hailey's tea pot. He was so proud of himself. I am too because he hasn't killed a single ladybug since he's been on his spider binge. Normally he marches around shouting "AND I WILL KILL THE LADYBUG!" So you know I am counting my blessings.

Hailey, on the other hand, does NOT like to kill anything. Drew kills, or traps all of her spiders. The problem is she has a bleeding heart, when he chases down a ladybug she is reduced to tears. We were out in our yard the other day and we saw one of the bunnys that is infesting our yard. Drew immediately charges it with a stick and Hailey screams and pleads for its life. I haven't been able to convince her that he will never catch it.

No comments: